Thursday, June 29, 2006

Where's My Easy Button?

Have you seen the commercials with the easy button? People who find themselves in difficult situation reach for a red button and everything turns out fine. I would like one of those buttons. It would be particularly useful on days when everything is going wrong. Or those times something pops up at just the wrong time. Just one click of the easy button and everything is back to smooth sailing. The other day I saw one of these buttons for sale at the store. I pushed the button only to hear a voice commenting on how easy that was. What a disappointment! My difficulties were still staring me in the face, smirking at the Easy Button.

Life is full of difficulties. If your life is like mine, the difficulties come at the most inconvenient times. Expenses come when money is already thin. At the end of a frustrating day, an irritating person enters the scene. Without an easy fix, I sometimes want to run away and hide.

This is not the time to run and hide, but to stand. Arnold didn't get his muscles by working out only when he felt like it. Even though I know and understand this, it is when I don't feel like standing when the difficulties come. I think of 78 reasons for why its ok for me not to stand today. Lately I have found I'm ashamed of myself when I give in to fear, when I listen to my reasons and I don't stand in my time of difficulties. In the end, the difficuly didn't crush me like I thought it would. Instead, the difficulty is an opportunity for me to grow.

For now, I'll let Staples have their Easy Buttons. Not just because they don't work, but because I would rather go through the difficulty and come out stronger than I was going in.

2 comments:

Sandy Cathcart said...

Woah!

I certainly needed that word. I've been searching for the easy button and I'm glad of the reminder that easy is not always the best, in fact it's not usually the best.

And did you ever go the extra mile in singing that silly song with me at the conference! Thanks bro! It was awesome. Did you hear the folks laughing afterward?

And what a nice touch...breaking that enormous potted plant. Too bad I didn't think of that. ha!

Truthfully, that was certainly not an "easy button," and I really appreciate your friendship and willingness to step out on the edge.

You rock!

sandy

Sandy Cathcart said...

It's been nearly a month, Phil. I keep looking for a new post!

Quarryhewn here.